Friday, March 23, 2012

Word of God Speak

Last Sunday we ended our service singing "Word of God Speak" by Mercy Me.  I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it years ago and always I am transported to holy ground.
 http://youtu.be/JTY-UKgLlXs

The sacred power of God's Word is equally quieting my soul and awakening it.  I can't pinpoint any one reason, as He seems to have orchestrated various people and events to draw me to the life-giving power of His Word.  I am both calmed and challenged by the voice of God.

This week I began a journey through the Bible guided by the book by Dr. Larry Crabb, entitled, "66 Love Letters--A Conversation With God that Invites You Into His Story".  Dr. Crabb essentially writes his own summary of each of the 66 books of the Bible.  And although His words are deeply moving in and of themselves, I know that the actual reading of each of the biblical books is paramount to a fuller understanding.  I have chosen the Message translation to keep me awake through some of the less enticing trails of God and His people.   ( "Just be'in honest God."  )

I am probably almost halfway through Genesis and I hear God calling me to trust.

I would rather not compare myself to Abram/Abraham in some of his failures in faith, and yet at other times in His life when He is a faith-giant, I know I would fall short.  I "marvel" at his inconsistency.  The same man of whom God asks to pack up his entire family and move...and says "Yes God", is the same man who later lies about his wife being his sister to save his own neck.  Come to think of it, he seems to have issues with lying about his wife and the whole sister thing.  He just can't seem to trust God to protect Him when push comes to shove.  Pages later I watch as he lays it all on the altar.  Literally.  His lifeblood...an entire generation promised by God, and He is fully prepared to sacrifice it all.

One day He trusts God and the next day he waffles.

Just like me.

There is a heap of life to trust God with right now for me.  And that doesn't mean its all burdensome.  Not at all.  But it does all grab my soul at every place imaginable and I can either worry or lament or control or question or...trust.

Trust.

God is calling me to trust.  In the words of Larry Crabb, God says, "I am worthy of your trust no matter what happens in your life.  I have a good plan, and nothing will stop Me from carrying it to completion.  You must live now in the tension between anguish and hope."

And so I live in that tension.

"Word of God speak
Would you pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see 
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak. 




 

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...