Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Timeless

Oh there is so much that is changing in my life...the life of our family right now.

Cam is getting married and Ashley just landed her first job as a hostess at a nearby restaurant.  She begins tonight at 5:00 with frayed nerves fully intact!!

And Mama here is recognizing that her psyche is still playing catch- up and her soul is doing major flip flops. 

Change.  I don't believe change can ever be neutral, but it is often bittersweet. 

The excitement is palpable in our home at times.  I could not be happier for Cam or more grateful for the woman of God that he has been blessed with.  I admire and marvel the quiet, God-honoring relationship they have grown together with Him as their foundation.  I relish answering the phone with, "Mother of the groom speaking." :) I feel rich standing with our arms around each other...my future daughter-in-law and I.  This is a beautiful season of my life and I am loving it.

But truthfully, I am still not accustomed to even having had my son leave home and head off to university, let alone this next journey of life.  I look at my firstborn and remember that delivery room where we welcomed a lungs-filled-with-life-breath son.  His entrance into our lives has changed us forever.  But he is a man now and I am caught between the then and the now not always knowing who I am in the middle of all of this. 

The next four suppers/evenings, Ashley will be gone to work and Brian and I home alone.  Trust me...we have NO problem being alone:)  We will enjoy this additional time of cultivating our relationship and of course talking freely about this season we are finding ourselves in. 

Still, it will be different, quieter... another change.  Not good or bad, but not neutral either.  Bittersweet is the word I continue to return to.  I can already hear my girl when she gets her first paycheck..."I love my job!!!" :) And by then the jitters will be gone and she will know the ropes and be spouting confidence.  Another step towards independence and increasing responsibility will be hers and those are all very good things.  She even wants me to purchase a purse calender so she can keep track of her work schedule.  I've been trying to persuade her to use a calender for YEARS!

And I take another small step back as her life expands with this new pathway.

Change.

"Selah" sings a song entitled "Timeless".  I have been listening to it the past few weeks, and today it just seemed to become my heart's melody.  Despite the emotional ride I am on...there is One who never changes.  He is Timeless.  He has been my security, the calming Presence, the One who keeps me grounded. 

"Timeless"

Time, it's changing me
It's hard to see who I am
Touched, I'm touched by many things
So many things I don't understand

But seasons pass and I discover 
Above all this there's another
Helping me to hold on to what 
is timesless

So the autumn can color me gold
And the winter can dress me 
in snow
But it's You I see,
the timeless part of me
In the springtime I'm young
once again
In the summer I dance on
the wind
But it's You I see,
the timeless part of me

Change, whether it's good or bad
You know I'm glad You're in
control
Oh Lord, if I don't understand
I know Your hand will shield my soul

Seasons pass and I discover
Above all else there's another
Helping me to hold on to what is timeless.
--Selah

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...