Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On a Sure Foundation

It has been 8 days now since my husband got sick.  Initially we thought it was another dreaded cold, which he seems to be susceptible to following a flight.  But his symptoms worsened and late Friday afternoon found us in his doctor's office.  From there we left for Emerg with the possibility of pneumonia or malaria having been fed to us by his doctor.  Eleven and a half hours later the diagnosis was bronchial pneumonia.

But that was early Saturday morning and last evening we were still not seeing improvement after 4 days of antibiotics.  So back to the doctor this morning to discover that the chest x-ray was clear, ruling out pneumonia.  So we are back at square one.  It was two trips to the lab for bloodwork today and an appt. has been set for Friday morning at 9:15 with a doctor specializing in Infectious Diseases.  The tests today were for Malaria, Typhoid Fever and Dengue Fever.

And I have not fallen apart.

Those of you who know me well, know that this would be looked upon as a gift.  Stable emotional health is not my strong point to begin with let alone when I am facing some degree of "crisis".  At this point, we are not in a full blown crisis, but there is the very real reality that something is clearly wrong with my husband and as of yet, we do not have a diagnosis.  He has not been to work for over a week now. 

And so I am deeply greatful for a strength in me that is not of me. 

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, yes and forever."  Hebrews 13:8

There is something so incredibly powerful for me in those words.  In the midst of the unknown, I feel safe and secure...on a sure Foundation. 

Today I read from Psalms 9:10  "Those who know Thy name will put their trust in Thee; For Thou, O Lord, hast not forsaken those who seek Thee."

I am not alone.  I will not be left alone by my Father.  I don't know how this story will continue to be written.  Today, I am resting in The Storyteller and trusting Him with tomorrow's chapter.

Several weeks ago as I was reading Cynthia Heald's book, "Drawing Near to the Heart of God", these words drew me in.

"When we truly believe in the goodness of our God our perception of circumstances will change.  Instead of questioning God's care for us, we will learn to trust that God loves us and is constantly at work for our good."

I have a deep burning desire to live this out in my life.  It seems as though God is giving me that opportunity.  I pray for the faith to continue to believe in the goodness of my God as I walk into the coming days.


2 comments:

Lockdoor said...

Thanks for the update, Juanita. Sending prayers of healing and comfort for Brian, and endurance for you both <3 Kristyn

Mama Squirrel said...

We are continuing to pray.

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...