Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Haiti--and so begins another God-sized adventure

 This was my hubby yesterday afternoon packing for Haiti.  It seems there is so much preparation and then suddenly it's here!!

It is a team of 11 this year.  I love that Cam and his fiancee Sonya are able to experience this together since it is their heart's desire to eventually be long-term missionaries.

One of the women joining the team is from Alberta, but Haitian born and then adopted by a Canadian family.  This will be her first time returning to her birthplace.  I can't imagine what this experience will mean to her.

If all goes as planned, the team will be putting together 5 prefab houses.  The five foundations have already been laid and the houses are ready and waiting.  A much different scenario than last year for those of you who remember.

For sure there are always lots of kids who enjoy all the loving attention.  The soccer balls were packed and ready to be pumped up and given a good workout.


Important items to pack...as you can see :)

"The Away Team"
 This is my personal "Away Team"...Cam, Sonya and Brian.  For Cam this is his 4th time to Haiti and for Brian it is his 3rd.  Some have deduced that this must be "old hat" for me by now.  But truthfully...no.  For sure I know what to expect in terms of communication and what it is to be on my own with Ashley, but I still don't find it easy to send them off.  I know that many people have relatively few issues entrusting their loved ones to God but that has never been my story.  And this year, there is a lovely young lady in the picture who has captured my heart, which means three precious people to place into the hands of God.  I seem to have to put a lot of sweat equity into trusting coupled with the Holy Spirit working overtime in order for me to surrender...and have that sweet peace I long for.  But oh the richness when I get to that place of rest.  It was Sunday afternoon this time and I am enjoying His calming, reassuring Presence


I am a little concerned as to whether they will even let this man on the plane!!

I think Sonya has her concerns as well!!!!  
















"The Home Team"
And yes, we are "The Home Team"...Ashley and I.  Also known as "The Prayer Team".  As much as I will miss my husband, and Cam and Sonya, I will enjoy one on one time with my daughter(provided she is home long enough for that to happen...ha,ha)  From the sounds of her itinerary today, she has her own "away team"!!!!  It's a good thing I enjoy being alone.  

I received a text message from Brian about 15 minutes ago that he would let me know when he is out of the pool(at Wall's Guest House) and then I can call him.  Sounds like they are off to a rough start!!!  

Just got off the phone with my hubby.  And the adventure begins!!!!  It turns out that quite possibly all of the houses are not in Hinche (where they are supposed to be), but just pieces of the houses.  The rest may be in Le Jeune.  First thing tomorrow morning they will assess what is actually there.  If there is a complete house a team will begin to put it together and another team will travel to Le Jeune to pick up the rest of the houses.  Please pray for these logistics and the team as they begin the work God has prepared for them.

My eyes have just passed over a quote here on my desk:

"Craving clarity we attempt to eliminate the risk of trusting God."
--Brennan Manning

It sounds like the Haiti team are well on their way to a trusting God kind of mission.


 

 

 















































No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...