Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Highlights from the Team

I have so enjoyed hearing the daily adventures of this amazing team of people.  Their courage and love of adventure; their sacrifice and willingness to go out of their comfort zones; their desire to allow themselves to be in harm's way in order to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the Haitian people is what so easily prompts me to call them amazing.  At times I have tried to imagine what it must be like to actually be there.

To lift panels to their rightful place and hang doors to make a home.

To meet face to face, the survivors of tragedy who live lives of endurance.

To experience the answered prayers of yesteryear and "today".

To worship in prayer and singing and building and loving each other.

To know the protection of God. 

I have so much desired a front row seat at the souls of each of these team members these past 10 days. 

So I asked for one!!! 

I asked Brian to take a pen and notebook and record each person's highlight, so that you and I together can all sit for a moment and "be there" in that front row. 

Be blessed as you read into the hearts of most of the team...

John--"God's awesomeness as we worked together as a team."

Brian I.--"The moment of presenting the keys upon completion of the first house."

Emily--"Seeing Doudwen (10 year old son at the 4th house) get his baseball cap.  Big smiles."

Sonya--"Being swarmed by children and 'showering' in the rain(when the storms came the rain would pour off the roof at Pastor Giordani's)

Claude(Haitian site manager)--"Loved how the team worked in perfect unity"

Michelle--"Shaking hands at the end of the service at Sapate.  (Everyone gathered in a circle; then the leaders started a line that moved around the circle so that eventually everyone shook everyone's hand).   And the experience of giving prayers and gifts at house #4.  Smiles, smiles and smiles!!!"

James--"Everything to do with the rain--everything green, showers under the eaves trough, suspense in outrunning(sometimes!!!)  The storms and God's grace. 


Odison(our Haitian driver)--"really appreciated working with the team:)"


Brian O.--"Serving, serving, serving.  Making a Godly difference in 4 families and their communities."


Sarah--"Hope--with God all things are possible." :)

Cam--"Showers in the rain.  A gift from God."

This amazing team of people arrived in Port au Prince this morning and then left in a truck to go up into the mountains.  Petionville is where they had lunch.

Their hearts ripped apart as they drove past the tent cities.People living on top of people in the mountains.   Brian's heart, "I thought I had seen the poverty of Haiti...but oh my...poverty beyond fathoming.  Literally breaks your heart."


The team also took a tour of Port and saw the presidential Palace and huge Catholic cathedral that collapsed in the earthquake.  Part of their afternoon indeed held a heaviness.

But they also visited tourist shopping venues and grocery stores purchasing spicy peanut butter, vanilla, gifts, etc. 

Tonight is relaxing, swimming in the pool, perhaps even reading a book.

Tomorrow is the return to Canada...home.:)

"And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem when they had fulfilled their mission..."
--Acts 13:25


No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...