Today is the first day of Lent and I have mixed emotions. Probably because last year I started out all eager and excited for what this could mean for my soul. but I can't say that this continued. In some ways, what I gave up became a "law" for me more than a place to invite God in.
And that was what I was truly longing for...a fresh place to invite God into.
Maybe that is why this year I have chosen to practice Lent in a slightly different manner. I suppose I am still "giving up" something, but I am looking at it more as a "taking in".
I am giving up a part of my day to just sit in the stillness and listen...to God. This is a spiritual discipline that I practice now and then, but never for a length of time(40) days.
The "giving up" part could still become a law once again I realize. After all, some days it won't seem possible to find those minutes to do "nothing" but listen. And I am such a task oriented person that even on my best days, wrapping myself in the waiting-for-God-quiet is a challenge.
Still, my soul has reaped the benefits of these precious moments with Holiness. I know the movement of the Spirit within. Which is why, despite last year's journey and the potential struggles of this year's, I am pressing into this new season of Lent, offering that still, small place for my God to speak His heart.
"Speak Lord, for your servant is listening."
--Samuel
No comments:
Post a Comment