Wednesday, May 4, 2011

In need of Resurrection

"who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God."  1 Peter 1:21

I read this verse yesterday using the Lectio Divina method of scripture reading.  I sort of cringe at the word "method".  It sounds cold and methodical but is anything but!!  I find that whenever I immerse my spirit in these moments, I go so much deeper than just reading a chapter.

What I gleaned from these few words? 

That which seems to be "dead", or appears to have been "crucified by or in our world", can be resurrected by the power of God.  

Can you see this truth in Peter's words?  God raised Christ from the dead...so that we could have faith and hope in God.   And if God  can resurrect Christ, He is more than able to bring new life...resurrect...ANYTHING in our world that looks to be lifeless.

These words came as a challenging rebuke to me.  My Father brought to mind an individual who is making such horrendous self-destructive life choices. I've been very close to writing this person off...giving up.  Until Peter reminded me that God is in the business of resurrection. 

I pray for God's power to bring new life to this child of His.

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...