Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

What a beautiful Mother's Day...in so many ways. 

First of all, both my kids remembered!!!!  Gotta love that.  It warms my heart to hear them say "Happy Mother's Day" without prompting!

Today held a treasured moment.  A team of  5 from our church is leaving for Haiti early tomorrow morning. Brian and Cam are two of those individuals.  There are also two other teens on the team and yesterday was the commissioning of these incredible people.  Since it was Mother's Day, our pastor thought it would be neat if myself and the Mom of the other teens were to commission this entire team.  Oh my.  What an honor and joy to bless and pray for everyone, but especially my "men".

My afternoon was spent enjoying the warm sunshine, talking with a dear friend, and then feasting on the delicious dinner my family had prepared. We had just purchased a gazebo and table and chairs for our deck and "christened" this blessing as we devoured BBQ'd pork chops, hasselback potatoes, squash, corn, tea biscuits and Caesar Salad.  My delightful ice cream treat followed for dessert.

 I love my kids.  I love who they are...such unique, beautiful people.  I love this time in their lives of watching their own person hoods emerging more and more.  At times I feel myself step out of time and wonder and marvel that I birthed them.  In some ways there is a sense of motherhood as being surreal. I look at my adult son and almost 16 daughter and wonder, "How did we get here?"




But somehow we are here.  One day at a time that began almost 19 years ago, when the ultrasound showed that first tiny human being.  

It was the cards that touched me the most.  I suppose every mother hopes that one day her children will pen words that make all the challenges and tears and sacrifice seem a distant memory.  More and more I read the words which make my heart sing.  I am blown away that finite, imperfect me has impacted these two lives in the ways they express.  Only His grace.

Eucharisteo for my awesome kids!

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...