Friday, December 10, 2010

Fully Present

This is my second year reading through Beth A. Richardson's Advent Devotional, "The Uncluttered Heart".  I love how the encouragement and challenges and comforts are fresh.  God's truth is always  in season regardless of having heard it before.  And His intimate ways are so obvious as He speaks to me each new day.

Today was timely, once again.  Allow me to share some of it with you.

"Being fully present in my body brings me into this moment--now.  Look!  I am seeing sunlight(or faces or Christmas lights).  Listen!  I am hearing music(or angry voices or laughter or silence).  Smell!  I am in the bakery (or the baby needs changing or the candles are lit).  Taste!  I am eating oatmeal(or coffee or something sweet).  Feel!  I am sitting in a chair(or I am hurting or I am tired).

Being fully present in my body allows me to turn to God more easily, staying open to God's leading in the next moment and the next and the next.  I am here, God.  What would you have me to do?  I am here, God.  Help me walk in peace.  I am here, God.  Give me wisdom and strength to face the next challenge.

Walk gently, peacefully, in the way of Christ's peace."

That which resonated with me, was the call to be fully present, to enter into the realities of my life.  There was this sense of freedom in hearing "permission" to just be as I am.


The past couple of weeks have not found me perpetually singing, "It's the most wonderful time of the year."  I am struggling emotionally again.  I hate that word...again.  I entered into the Christmas season with excitement and joy and anticipation.  But a certain level of this Christmas spirit has been overshadowed by the darker side that seems to never totally be gone from my life.  I have to be honest,  I'm disappointed and frustrated.  It's not the way I was planning for the month of December to unfold.  It's a challenge to enjoy all that I am "supposed" to enjoy, when I feel anxious, overwhelmed and fatigued.

But today, I felt a sense of freedom as I allowed myself to be fully present in my body, in the moment.   My eyes could focus on a flickering candle, a beautifully lit Christmas tree, and the gently falling snow outside my window.  My ears heard the swish of traffic on the wet streets, the heat pumping out of the vent beside me, even the sound of my pen as I wrote these thoughts.  My nose enjoyed the amazing aroma of the new scent of "McIntosh Cider" coming from my potpourri burner.  Sitting in my chair I felt its comfort and warmth, surrounding my tired body.   

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I do know that regardless of all that I will experience, I still have the privilege of being fully present with all of who I am.  The Christ who came over 2000 years ago, beckons me to His side, as I am.  He will lead and provide and walk with me through each and every moment.

By His grace, I can walk gently, peacefully, in the way of Christ's peace.

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...