Wednesday, December 22, 2010

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree--What a story you are telling this year...."

Last evening we "buried" our Christmas tree.  No, we are not bah humbugging the season, but our tree seemed to be.  We noticed shortly after decorating that a good number of needles were falling to the floor.  As the days passed, a daily carpeting was visible and I began to wonder if our tree was going to make it through to Christmas Day.  Several days ago, I noticed ornaments clumping together.  They were sliding down the branches into one another.  Many of the branches were in fact turning under as the needles effortlessly fell to the carpet.  The thought of purchasing another tree and redecorating did not appeal to me, but neither did the scene that was unfolding and knowing that this tree had no chance of surviving until the 25th.

So I called the Nursery and inquired as to whether they had heard other complaints of ultra dry tree.  "Yes, a few."  I explained the demise of our tree and was told a Fraser Fir (1 of the last remaining 7 trees at the Nursery) would be held just for us.  By now I was anxious to be rid of the corpse in my living room and anticipating a lush, fresh centerpiece.

Returning the brittle-branched tree was a feat in itself.  Wrapping it in a tarp helped prevent our van from succumbing to a green layer of prickles.  Upon arrival at the Nursery we were directed to the outdoor area where one lone Fraser Fir lay frozen against a wall.  Shall I say, one very tall Fraser Fir.  The tag read 12-14 feet.  Our ceiling is 8.  After sawing off 3-4 feet and a mountain of branches, we were set to go.

Removing Mr. Prickly from the back of the van resulted in the gentleman(Eric) assisting us to ask a question, "Did you put sugar in the water?"

"Yes"

"That's the worst thing for a tree...clogs up the pores."  He could tell instantly because of the black stump.

Did you know that?  We certainly didn't.  We've heard of many people who add sugar to their tree water.

So now, not only do we have a dead tree, but it appears that it was our own doing.  However, Eric, was in a very giving spirit, and insisted we take the Fraser Fir.  He could not be sure that it's fate did not also involve other elements.

Driving away with our new gem, I whispered my shock explaining to my hubby that I had noticed the price tag on the tree...$299.99!!!!!!!!!!  Eric GAVE us a $300 tree!!!!!  Unbelievable!

Three tree stands later, Sher is standing tall and gorgeous in our living room.  Yes, I named her "Sher" after the Nursery that so generously blessed us.  I say "three tree stands later", because our tree stand and one given to us by an acquaintance would not hold the weight of Sher.  Last night we went to bed as the "Leaning tower of Pisa" was anchored to the window frame.  This morning, the same Nursery had ONE LAST TREE STAND...a heavy duty steel base, and half price to boot.

Tonight, I am in awe as I gaze at what I believe is an extravagant gift from God.  We don't need Sher nor deserve her beauty.  We could have still had a wonderful Christmas without her.  But she has been given to us, and we are gratefully enjoying the unique way she has come to grace our home.

Don't expect to see Sher out on our boulevard the day after New Year's.  We plan to enjoy her well into January.

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...