Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's My Birthday!!!!!!

It's my birthday!!!!!! There is a certain way to announce this. I learned it from a dear friend of mine, who likes to announce this ALL DAY LONG, when her day comes around. How do I know this? Because I spent her special day with her several years ago. You would be amazed at how many times and ways you can fit this little phrase into a conversation. It's important to note that you have to say it a certain way...think of a five year old waking up the morning of their birthday, and can HARDLY wait for the festivities to begin. Now multiply that by, well, a lot. (P.S. If you tell store clerks, you might be fortunate enough to get something extra placed in with your purchase.) Okay...enough about my friend...IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! ha,ha

Gertrude Stein says this: "We are always the same age inside." I think she's bang on. My birth certificate tells me I'm now 45, and although some days I may feel like that, on the inside, I don't. I'm not exactly sure what age I "feel" like...probably closer to a teenager...those years when you become more self aware, and are trying to figure out life and who you are and how both fit together. Oh sure, I've learned an awful lot about myself over the years. I've grown as a person in deep ways. I've discovered much about life...what it is and what it isn't. But there are still surprises. Regularly. I don't react to something the way I thought I would. Or I'm lambasted by a circumstance in life. And I find myself feeling like, well, young...really young again, trying to make my way through the maze I started in many years ago.

But I am older.

Last evening my husband took me out to eat at the same restaurant where we shared our first date almost 20 years ago. It felt surreal to us...all that has taken place in those years. All the "for better and for worse" stuff. We reminisced about the past and dreamt about the future God might have for us. I love "doing" life with this amazing man.

Today, was a gift. For the most part, I felt comfortable in my own skin; enjoying a peaceful sense of well-being. Days like this aren't common, so I bask in it when they do. My friends showered me with gracious love and kindnesses. I had a brief afternoon nap. My kids and hubby spoiled me with handmade cards(yep...that's my kids!!) and "juanita-style" gifts. Okay, so it might have something to do with my Card Making Studio. Which means some of you will benefit from my birthday. How cool is that!!!

This evening is relaxing. The kids are gone to a concert and Brian and I are watching the Olympics. We just got a bronze in Speedskating!!! Awesome!! I suppose I should get up off my duff and tidy up supper dishes, and find a home for my lovely cards and gifts.

It's my birthday!!!! For a few more hours.

1 comment:

Kristyn Hiemstra said...

Happy Birthday Juanita :)

May the year to come be one full of breathtaking joy and relentless peace for you.

With love,
Kristyn

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...