Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Milestones


 
 By now it seems like I should not be surprised at the passing of time and the unfolding of milestones in the lives of my children.  After all, they have not truly "just happened" overnight.  My son was birthed into this world and went through all of the passing stages of childhood.  Preschool, Public school, followed by Junior High, High school, a semester of Bible College and then University and Marriage.  Last week he graduated with a Bachelor in Agricultural Science with distinction. Perhaps it's not so much that it feels like just yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital, but rather, that I was privy to all the years leading up to this day.  I have watched a babe in arms become a man through the inevitable passage of time that makes up our lives.  I know this man.  
I know who he was, 
the challenges he faced, 
the uphill roads he's had to climb, 
the beat of the drum he lived by, 
the mystery that encompassed this created being, 
the ways in which he plowed through life making mistakes and 
searching out the way meant for him.  
I know because I cried and prayed and begged for understanding SO THAT I WOULD NOT FAIL THIS INCREDIBLE HUMAN BEING! 

 
 Last week I stood beside not just a graduate with a degree, but a man of God who found his way by the grace of God.  I take no credit for who he has become.   I only know that I loved him unconditionally through the years.

He graduated with distinction and yet marks were never my focus.  My heart only desired a man marked by his character; a man willing to set himself apart and be marked by God.  This is what truly makes my spirit sing and dance and celebrate.

"There are very few men who realize what God would make of them 
if they abandoned themselves into His hands 
and let themselves be formed by His grace."  
--Ignatius

Sooooo grateful to have you as my son
Lovingly, Mom

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...