Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Struggle

Oh how I am struggling to
surrender
relinquish
entrust
ALL to God

And oh what tension within as I,
with strong fist,
still seek to hold on to that which is
ENTIRELY OUT OF MY CONTROL!!

What absurdity this is--
seeking to control
that which is impossible!!

And how I lament
this ego-centric mind of mine
which somehow thinks
I am "God"!

Why
when I deeply desire to be at rest
in His sheltering, secure embrace
can I not do so??!!

I'm grateful for the vulnerability of others
who admit to the same.

Henri J.M. Nouwen in his book,
"The Road to Daybreak:  A Spiritual Journey"
writes

"This morning in my hour of prayer, 
I tried to come to some level of abandonment
to my heavenly Father.
It was a hard struggle
since so much of me wants to do my will,
realize my plans,
organize my future,
and make my decisions.
Still,
I know that true joy comes from letting 
God love me the way He wants...
it is hard for me to say, 
'I shall gratefully accept everything Lord,
that pleases You.
Let Your will be done.'
But I know that when I truly believe
my Father is pure love, 
it will become increasingly possible to say these words
from the heart."

And herein lies the key--
believing that my Father is PURE love.

I so yearn fro this rooted level of trust.

At times
I seem to live in this calm...
but it's always so fleeting--
which then reveals that such love
is so clearly
not
rooted in me.

My spirit pleads with the words of 
Paul's prayer
in Ephesians 3
to be fulfilled in me.

The Living Bible translation is descriptively beautiful--

"I pray that Christ will be more and more
at home in your hearts,
living within you as you trust him.
May your roots grow down deep in the soil
of God's marvelous love;
and may you be able to 
feel and understand...
how long, 
how wide,
how deep,
and how high
his love really is,
and to experience this love for yourselves,
though it is so great that you will never
see the end of it
or fully know or understand it.
And so at last
you will be filled up with God Himself."
verses 17-19

I am convinced that if 
"my roots were deep in the soil of God's marvelous love",
that surrender would be simple.

My own prayer 
is perhaps best echoed through the words of 
verse 16

(that God) "...out of His glorious, unlimited resources...
will give you the might inner strengthening
of the Holy Spirit."

"Holy Spirit come...
grow in me this inner strength of soul
that my roots would run deep
into the rich and life-giving soil
of God's perfect love."

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...