Who I am is in desperate need of God
I struggle with parts of who I am--
the weak places,
the ease with which it seems to take for me to grow weary,
the way my spirit leans towards feeling overwhelmed,
the way my life seems to capsize
each time stormy circumstances blow my way
This is not who I long to be
But it is a part of who I am
Ingrid, my Spiritual Director says that
we all like to pick and choose the better parts of ourselves
instead of integrating all into the whole...
the strong and the weak
the successes and failures
Psalm 43:3,4 is a prayer of desire--
"O send out thy light and truth;
let them lead me;
Let them bring me to Thy holy hill,
And to Thy dwelling places
Then I will go to the altar of God,
To God my exceeding joy;
And upon the lyre I shall praise Thee,
O God, my God."
His light has been illuminating my path
His truth has been revealing--
beauty
and hope
and rest.
Who I am is in desperate need of God
And this is a good, good thing
Running to Him,
leaning on Him,
seeking rest in Him
is so very good
I find it noteworthy that the Psalmist prayer
for light and truth
does not lead him to "doing"
His prayer is to guide Him to "being"...
to a "dwelling place" in God
It is here in God's presence,
in the safety and rest and security of His presence
that He offers up praise to His God.
Reflective times this week have led me to ask--
What if the transforming work God longs to do in me
is about "being"
and not
"doing"?
What if it's not about how I look as a Christ follower
but who I am in Christ?
What if His greatest desire for me is not that I strive
for "wonder woman acts of righteousnes"
but that I live loved by God,
rest in contentment in His presence,
drink deeply of His lovingkindness, mercy and compassion?
What if all of the upheaval these past days has been,
not about revealing the weak parts of who I am
but more about
His spreading out the eternal expanse of who He is
and my desperate need for Him?
Then I would go--
"to the altar of God,
To God my exceeding joy;
And upon the lyre I shall praise Thee,
O God, My God."
No comments:
Post a Comment