A part of me wonders if I was not born
in the wrong era
I would have fared so much better
if I had been at the bottom of the mountain
when Moses returned with the Law.
Because I'm a seemingly incurable list person
Some of my lists are beneficial...
my grocery list for example.
Other lists
like my "to do" list for the week
enables me to prioritize and work away at
accomplishing tasks
But my list keeping
in relation to my spiritual life
is
in a word...
damaging
Whether it be consciously or unconsciously
I am constantly checking off
or not
whether I am measuring up to
God
And of course because I never have a completely checked off list
I fail to ever sufficiently measure up
to Him
It's a relentless game I play
with myself
God doesn't play the game
There is no game for Him
Hebrews 9 and 10
remind me of this
over and over and over again
This verse sounds like me--
"...under the old system,
gifts and sacrifices were offered,
but these failed to cleanse the hearts of the people who brought them...
the old system dealt only with certain rituals--
what foods to eat and drink,
rules for washing themselves,
and rules about this and that..." (9,10)
Christ came so that I could
tear up my list!
"the blood of Christ will transform our lives and hearts.
His sacrifice frees us from the worry of having to obey
the old rules,
and makes us want to serve the living God." (vs.14)
God's heart for me is about
forgiveness
and freedom
and
rest
"Christ gave himself to God for our sins
as one sacrifice for all time...
by that one offering he made forever perfect
in the sight of God
all those whom he is making holy." (vs. 12,14)
I could continue
quoting the pages of Hebrews
written to free me of my list...
the question is--
Will I believe these words
and tear up my list?
I want to
oh how I want to
discard the paper
and live in His freedom
This morning I did
and my soul let out a sigh
But I know this deep seated way of mine--
to keep constructing a new list
I hate it
I also know that I've given my life to a faithful God
and His new mercies every morning
mean
that I can start over again
every morning
so life-giving..
My spiritual director reminds me that
"Lent is about turning
and about freedom..."
I'm grateful for this space
wherein God persistently shows up
longing to bring me
another taste of freedom
Today is another step
No comments:
Post a Comment