"Lent is a time of returning to God.
It is a time to confess how we keep looking for
joy, peace, and satisfacation
in many people and things surrounding us,
without really finding what we desire.
Only God can give us what we want...
Lent is a time of refocusing,
of reentering the place of truth,
of reclaiming our true identity."
--Henri J.M. Nouwen
"Sabbatical Journey: The Diary of His Final Year"
This has been such a warring beginning of Lent for me.
I was not expecting to feel the pull so intensely
towards pleasure.
A quiet, but persistent
"I want"
murmurs within.
"I want...
another helping of dinner."
"I want...
that delectable taste of chocolate"
"I want...
that aromatic candle...
or spring napkins...
or new magazine."
Sitting quiet with Jesus and these thoughts
has not relived them.
I am not craving evil pleasures
My pleasures, if I succumbed to them,
would not break the bank
But they are breaking a part of my heart.
The part that thought I was "above"
incessant wanting.
The part that thought I could just give up some pleasures
without struggle
and simply settle into
the pleasure of God
But it hasn't been this way
And so I keep waiting
and asking...
"Why is all "this" binding me so?
Eventually I will hear the gentleness of His voice
and understand a deeper need in my soul
For now I let the dissonance just be
No comments:
Post a Comment