Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Asking God to Stay

"If we picture all the obstructions between us and God
as a wilderness,
Lent presents us with time to clear and cultivate
a part of that wilderness,
to create an open space in it.
In this newly opened space,
we may live more freely and 
commune more closely
with the divine.
We can transform this wilderness
and make it our home,
our garden,
a place that invites God in 
and asks God to stay."
--Sarah Parsons
"A Clearing Season:  Reflections for Lent"

Looking in the rear view mirror
I see them
the obstructions
which squelched my freedom
and separated parts of me
from God

And I'm surprised
Surprised because I recall some of this unveiling during Lent last year
and yet somehow
I became entangled 
again

Paul says we are to, 
"lay aside...the sin which so easily entangles us..."
Hebrews 12:1

He's right on the mark!
Sin does so easily entangle me


How cleansing then is this Lenten season!
This stretch of weeks in which
I invite Jesus to clear away sin's obstruction

This wilderness is being transformed
slowly
but purposefully

The garden that is developing
is calming for my soul

I invite Him to continue 
clearing
and cultivating
and growing
me

I invite Him
to stay

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...