Yes, life has thrown a bit of a curve ball into our home, but more specifically into Ashley's life. Yesterday we received the confirmed diagnosis of Mono. Sigh.
It was a week ago Monday that she began feeling unwell--chills and sweats, achy, headaches, and of course tired. But she kept pushing through her week, which, I might add, was a very busy one. By Friday she was also experiencing congestion and an increasingly sore throat. Bed has been her friend since Friday night other than for meals, baths, and a trip to the Dr. on Monday.
So here we are. In the land of the unknown and unpredictable. Everyone's experience with Mono is very unique in not only the symptoms but the length of rest required. My girl has been quite sick and has not improved with the exception of the pain and swelling in her throat having decreased somewhat. Interestingly, her exhaustion does not necessarily mean endless sleep. Most of the day she is unable to sleep, yet feels whipped. Tomorrow, she will have missed a week of school.
And yes, this is concerning, with the reality of a heavy course load this semester and University on the horizon. I am going to pick up homework tomorrow, which will have been submitted by her teachers to Guidance, but at this point, she has only been able to focus for 20 minutes a couple of times the entire week. I know she has "plans" to get lots accomplished on the weekend, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
Proverbs 3:5,6 were the words of truth that came to me yesterday and have been permeating my thoughts.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And do not lean on your own understanding,
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths."
It's what I need to be reminded of right now. Our understanding is so very limited. Trusting in God is my greatest strength. And practically speaking??? Acknowledging Him in all that we are facing is an exercise I need to be active in.
He is Healer,
Wise,
Our Shepherd who protects and guides our life path
Powerful,
Sovereign,
Good,
Provider
Merciful...
That which has been thrust into Ashley's life, was not a surprise to Him. I just love that!!!
For now, I am endeavoring to recognize the One who holds Ashley in the palm of His hand.
In the meantime, this Mama Nurse and Caregiver is fluffing up pillows, filling glasses with water, lemon and ice cubes and making Rolo McFlurry and Dunkaroo runs.
2 comments:
Oh, no! So sorry to hear this :( Praying for a speedy recovery and that her schoolwork is manageable.
Yech--poor Ashley. We went through this last fall during the Apprentice's first year at university--again, not the way you expect to start a semester!
Take care of yourselves!
Post a Comment