Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Prayer for Everyday

"O God,
I seem to spend my whole life wanting to rush ahead.
I'm always thinking of tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
I'm always wishing time would hurry by.

I'm seldom here,
right here,
in this moment,
at this time,
being part of what is around me...

Perhaps that's why I find it hard to connect with you, O God, because connecting with you is a here-and-now thing:  and I'm never now--I'm always in the future.

Help me to be here in the present.
Help me to enjoy this very moment.

Remind me that the abundant life you offer is now.  
Remind me that tomorrow will take care of itself and that today is all I have.

Let me enjoy my journey today.  Wash away from my mind all thoughts about what I'd rather be doing or where I'd rather be at this moment.  Take away the urge to push time forward.  Help me to sit back and to simply be."
--Patricia Wilson
"Quiet Spaces"

It's been one of those days where this prayer echoes my heart and the hours I've rushed through.  Tomorrow there will be new mercies awaiting as I climb out of bed.  For now, I rest in Him who overwhelms my broken ways with His wholeness.




No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...