Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surrendering ...in 2012

Yesterday was my first day back to routine since Christmas.  I decided that since my daughter was still on holidays last week, that I would take my version of a holiday.  And just for the record, I only slept 45 minutes longer in the morning, unlike the 12:00 noon of my daughter:) 

I threw myself into uncluttering my home, and although some would find it a stretch to call that a holiday, it was such a satisfying, freeing task; one which I enjoyed immensely.  I have made several trips to second hand stores, and sorted through much paper for recycling.  I am slowly clearing out the rooms of my home. 

Surrendering comes into the picture as I continue to have God unclutter my soul.  I am so grateful for the Spirit's moving in me as I recognize those places which need to be handed over to Him.

I came across a powerful prayer of surrendering the new year.  The words have gripped me, and although I cannot authentically pray it through, I so desire to get to that place where I can.

"God, in this new year,
may I no longer be my own but yours.
Put me to what you will;
rank me with whom you will.
Put me to doing; put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you.
Let me be full; let me be empty.
Let me have all things; let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God--
Creator, Redeemer, Inspirer--
you are mine, and I am yours.
May this promise that I hereby make on earth
be ratified in heaven.
Amen."
--W. Paul Jones
"An Eclectic Almanac for the Faithful"

Do you see what I mean by powerful?? 

And yes, excruciatingly difficult to mouth such words, but oh how freeing it would be to live in such surrender to the Holy One!!

And I crave that freedom!!!

Holding on, grasping for control is binding, and yet so often it is how I live. 

But I have been more aware the past week and a half, of people, places or things which need to be surrendered.  And as I release the burdens, cast on Him the worries, and let go of impossible expectations, I am experiencing peace. 

You might have noticed that I titled this post "Surrendering...in 2012".  It's not as though I have surrendered the next 365 days all in one lump sum.  "There you go , God...it's all yours."

No...I think it's more of an ongoing surrendering...a process.  And some of it is hard work...I'm not always able to hand it over easily.  But as He reveals that which is better left in His hands, I am seeking the path of surrender, and welcoming the freedom of resting in Him.

"God, in this new year,
may I practice surrendering 
all that comes my way."





No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...