Thursday, May 27, 2010

Romancing my Soul

God is romancing my soul.  I first read this phrase in a book, "Captivating--Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge.  Stasi talked about needing God to show her that He loved her, that she was worth fighting for.  When I read her words, I knew I needed romancing too.  I was in the midst of my darkest valley of depression, and I was desparate for any tangible sign that God was actually fighting for me...it certainly didn't feel like it!

I need romancing again.

It's been a week and a half of dark clouds again...some of them, eerily sinister.  And although 11 days doesn't sound very long, each 24 hour period is weighing on my spirit.  This is what I wrote in my journal this morning:
"God...this is not fun.  I feel tortured.  How do we get through this?  It feels sooooo hard, so overwhelming, so endless.  And yet we've done this all before countless times.  I know what to do.  I just keep inviting You into the torture and mindlessness of it all.  I want  you to show me You are here, but I know You are.  Everytime I see the cardinal... and hear him sing...out here on my bird feeder, I know You are here.  ThankYou for Your romances seeking to infiltrate this dreadful encasing of my being.  I need them.  I need You."

He is what I need.  It sounds simple...wait on Him...rest in Him...focus on Him.  But I don't find it simple.  It's painstaking work to" take every thought captive to Christ."( 2 Cor. 10:5)  It's a challenge not to become disheartened.  It's laborious to once again accept life as it is and adjust accordingly. 

But it's what I'm seeking after...His kingdom(Matthew 6:33)...which is so not like my kingdom.  It's where I desire the Holy Spirit to direct me..."into the love of God and the steadfastness of Christ."(2 Thessalonians3:5)  This is truly my heart's passion.

And He must be passionate about me, because His romancing of my soul stirs me, ever so slowly yet purposefully.

I'm ever grateful God.

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...