Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Living Just a Little

You know those people who live out of their comfort zone on a regular basis...
who are always saying, "come on...live a little"...
 who enjoy taking risks,
 love letting their hair down(so to speak)
 and who just seem to relish in the unpredictability of life???

Well I'm not one of those people!!!

I am not only grounded...I'm virtually cemented in routine and order and writing within the lines.

Except for today.

Today held one of those rare moments where I just sort of put that all aside and stepped out of "me" and did something I don't think I've ever done.

Now before you pass out from holding your breath, wondering what this incredible death defying act I put myself into was, remember this is Juanita talking. This was a "Juanita-size-live-a-little".

Some minor background information....on Saturday I was out looking for mother-of-the-groom attire.  I don't know colors or Sonya's thoughts as of yet, I was merely having fun and desiring to see what is out there in terms of style and color and price.  I perused a handful of ladies stores just taking it all in.  Today however, I went to a rather high-end fashion boutique.  I've been to this place a handful of times over the past 21 years.  In fact, it's where I purchased my wedding dress.  (It's quite a bit more upscale now...trust me)

Anyway, I haven't walked through the doors for several years,but today, just like in past visits, I immediately remember why.  It's sooooooo out of my league!  This thought always hits me the moment I step foot inside, but I always feel like I must take the obligatory 60 second walk-around before quietly exiting. 

But today I stayed.

Why?  I have no idea!!!  It just sort of...happened.

A sales clerk approached me and asked me what I was looking for, and I actually told her!!!  Usually I say..."Oh...I'm fine thanks...just looking."  But no, today I started to play my little charade of being genuinely interested.  She escorted me up this grand staircase to the area where all of the "mother of the bride/groom" dresses were.  Gorgeous, rich, lavish attire.  Initially she led me to a lovely silk two-piece.  It was at this moment that she inquired if I had a price range in mind.  I calmly replied that we hadn't discussed that yet.  When she told me the dress I was looking at was $875 I just smiled.  Immediately I knew that was NOT in my price range!!!  She moved on over to a beautiful 3 piece chiffon in cream...I loved it...all $675 worth!!!!
As she moved on to show me another dress, I explained to her that I really wanted something with a skirt/jacket as I needed to have something to clip my insulin pump to.  Did I really need to give her that information???!!!

She proceeded to explain all about custom ordering and fitting and altering a dress to a skirt and the time frame required for all of this.  I listened intently while she explained the most chosen colors these days...black and navy with navy being "the new black".  Who knew??!!!

She asked some more questions and I proceeded to thank her and make my way to the exit when she asked if I would like her business card.  By then, I truly felt like I was past the point of no return.  I mean what am I going to say, "Actually, there is no way on this planet that I will be back to custom order ANYTHING...in fact...do you know that the jeans I'm wearing are from a second hand store??!!!!

So I said, "Sure."  And she proceeded to write out the hours she worked and her day off so that when I returned with the bride and her Mom and bridesmaids, she would be able to service us.  Wait 'til I tell Sonya :)

I walked out to my vehicle smiling.  I still smile...every time I look at my desk and see her business card lying there.  It was like I had played an adult's version of pretend.  No harm.  Just some simple fun enjoying a tour of a fashion world that I don't live in.

It felt good to just live a little.


No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...