Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Anniversary to ME!!

It was one week ago today that I started on the Insulin Pump.

I LOVE IT!!!

Seriously, I had no idea I would love it this quickly.  Even on the second day I was thinking..."This is awesome!"   I'm already having times where I forget that I'm even wearing it!  For sure, reading the user manual and practicing has made the difference. 

The diabetes educator has started me on just the basics, but still, I actually understand this.  Who knew??!!!  The way in which the pump works makes sense to me.  For a time there, I was wondering if I would ever "get it".  Yes, my user manual is always at the ready, which has been so very helpful... especially when I need to fill a new reservoir and change the site of infusion, etc.  This is required every 3 days.  I gather all my supplies and sit down at a table with my manual and work through it step by step.  I've had some tense moments, but in the end, everything works like a charm. 

I suppose it stands to reason that the cannula, which is what is actually inserted under my skin, would not cause any discomfort, otherwise who would stick(no pun intended) with this type of treatment.  But it still is surprising to me that I don't feel it at all.  (Okay, so maybe once and awhile I feel a pinch, but rarely)  

The next step, after talking to the educator today, is to bring tighter control to my blood sugars.  She was letting them run a little high as we were trying to discern my insulin requirements.  They are typically 25% less when using the pump than on the insulin pen or syringe.  So...now we are aiming for sugars between 5-7.  My pump is programmed with these numbers, which means that at the set times I have for checking blood sugars, the pump will beep and tell me if they are out of the target range.  I'm expecting to hear a lot of beeps over the next while as we begin this stage of fine tuning. 

This was probably "too much information", but it is my new life and at the present, a very big part of it.

All in all, this is a wonderful early Christmas gift.  Oh!!!  My pump just beeped...time to check my 2-hours-after-a-meal-blood sugar.  








No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...