Gosh, I'm all over the map with this! September 3 will be the day we move our son into residence at Bible College. The following day is his 18th birthday.
I thought I had a pretty good handle on this transition. Until Monday of this past week. Then, for a myriad of reasons, my calm, cool, collectedness fell by the wayside. It's not that I'm a mess. I'm just...well...sometimes I'm sad...sometimes excited...sometimes stressed...lost, frustrated, ticked off. Like I said...all over the map. I suppose that is one of the reasons this season in life is referred to as a transition. It doesn't just happen overnight. The "letting go" has been going on for some time now, but we're just stepping up the pace a little these days.
I know he's ready...chomping at the bit actually. ( Which might have something to do with my sadness.) He's making it rather clear that my mothering is not needed anymore. After all he is "almost 18!!". (Of course the next day he wants me to make his lunch for work since he's "not 18 yet!!!".) I think we're both in transition. ha,ha.
He's been at the cottage with his cousin all week, which I'm quite sure has been a good thing on so many levels. We will only have one week to go in which to navigate this bumpy road. I think a measure of grace will be required for the coming 7 days...on both sides of the highway. It's uncharted territory for each of us.
The quote I wrote on his birthday card reads..."God made man because he loves stories." Elie Wiesel That's really what my "letting go" is allowing. It's giving God the opportunity to go full throttle in making my son's story. Oh sure, Cam's story began Sept. 4, 1992, but there's an altogether new slant to the story now. And truthfully...I am full of anticipation of what I will be reading in my son's life over the coming months and years. This is what I seek to focus on when all of the above kicks up dust in my spirit. It brings a calmness to my being, because it points me to the Storyteller.
So...I'll keep making my way...with the Storyteller by my side...step by step by step.
No comments:
Post a Comment