Be forewarned, this post is not for those with weak stomachs. If however, you are the Mom of a teenager, or are a "have been" or a "will be" Mom of a teen, you will no doubt appreciate this or at least be prepared for that "someday". All other readers...this is comic relief at it's best, so enjoy!
My soon-to-be 18 year old son was asked by my Dad if he would mow their lawn while my parents were off on vacation. He was happy to do so. Tuesday evening, he informed us that since he had the following day off, he would be taking care of this job that day. Because he is an avid cyclist, he was planning to bike to their home, which would be 45 minutes each way(by bike). He told me he would not be home until between 1 and 2:00 as he figured in his time of departure, mowing the grass, etc.
As you may know, I have been working on this whole "letting go" business when it comes to my son. Some days I do great at it, other days, I fail miserably. But honestly...it's stink'n hard. Mothering for me, is as natural as breathing. It's a part of me. I love to nurture and care and love my kids. And so when my son told us he would be gone over lunch, I just automatically suggested he pack a lunch to take with him. His response to me was one that I have been getting a lot of lately...sort of a mixture between exasperation-and-you-have-five-heads-kind-of-deal. So, I did the "letting go" thing this time, and just let it be. (Oh, he did mention something about taking a granola bar)
I was at an appt. when he got home yesterday afternoon, so was not privy to the first-come-first-serve details. That went to his sister.
Okay, so I know you are waiting with baited breath, just as I can hardly type fast enough, to fill you in on the happenings. I do need to factor in the temperature to this unfolding drama. It was 42 degrees with the humidex yesterday. Keep that in mind.
My son made it to his destination no problem. But he was feeling pretty whipped as he mowed the grass. His return trip however, was another story. He came to a point where he could bike no longer...the energy completely sucked out of him. He felt faint and although it was crazy hot, he had the chills (Probably not a good sign). So, my desperate son, stopped at the edge of a farmer's field, extracted a cob of SILAGE corn from the stalk and proceeded to eat it!!!! He said he only ate half. He continued to rest by the farmer's field as he waited for some spark of energy to return. He then continued to proceed, but still very much in need of nourishment. And this is where the half eaten pita comes in. He found it lying on the side of the street of a small town he was passing through. So...he ate it!!!!!
Some of you, are completely disgusted by now(as was his sister), but me? I laughed myself silly. I was remembering my lunch suggestion, and picturing one totally desparate kid mowing down on less than appetizing fare. Yes, I realize that we should all take a moment here and realize that food poisoning and who knows what else could be part of the this equation. But it is now Thursday evening and he is alive and well, and so I am still laughing...every time I tell this story. And trust me, it is a blast to tell it each time. Come to think of it, maybe I'm not doing too badly at this "letting go" thing...my nurturing/caring ways are a little absent here :)
Will he pack a lunch next time? Probably, but even if he doesn't, my endorphins have been having a major party these past couple days.
Hope yours enjoy a good dance as well!!!!!!!!
1 comment:
Hi Juanita,
Our oldest is the same age as your son (actually I think they were in Sunday School together for a couple of years). There are lots of adjustments to make--but good things too!
I liked the picture of your porch too! And congratulations on your daughter's baptism--a day you will always remember.
Post a Comment