Monday, June 29, 2020

Happy 25th Birthday My Girl!!!

My Ashley....I love you to the moon and back!
I'm not sure how this happened and yes I realize that EVERY parent has voiced these words and yet I suppose it is a result of the "tides" of parenting.  Most days the tide is out and the water "relatively" calm as your child goes through that process known as growing up.  One day blends into the next and while you notice changes, there is a level of normalcy to it.  Babies grow into toddlers and toddlers into preschoolers and preschoolers into public school, etc. 

But then one day, seemingly out of the blue, a milestone comes along and the tide comes in and crashes over you, leaving you sopping wet and thoroughly gob-smacked!!  You allow the water to settle and absorb the shock while you methodically do the math that if I am 55, it is highly probable that I have a daughter who is 25.  (especially given my son is going on 28!) You flip through the movie reel of her life, remembering the OB calling out, "It's a girl!" and all the ensuing chapters of friends and school and first job and leaving the nest and boyfriends, and trekking cross country.  You pause at "moments" which were painful, joyous, exciting, confusing and know that nothing in life is ever wasted.  Nothing. 

And you give thanks.  Deep, heart-wrapped, joyous, blessed thankfulness for this beautiful young woman who graced your life 25 years ago today.

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...