Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A God-Size Adventure

Wednesday September 10, 2014 was a memorable day for me.  
There wasn't anything out of the ordinary that took place in that 24 hour period 
and yet I knew it was momentous.  
I had no idea how life was going to unfold 
but I believed that one day God would make it clear to me.  
The time frame for what I was waiting for was completely unknown 
and yet I was convinced that eventually the mystery would be revealed.

It was the day I began to pray these words--


It has been over 7 months since my heart and lips first spoke these life-changing words. 
Such a prayer had come after a realization that I had been missing out on adventure because of fear.  
My Spiritual Director had challenged me to pray this specific prayer for adventure.  
And she "warned" me--
 God would answer!

Over the past months circumstances have arisen in which I at times wondered, 
"Could this be the adventure God has for me?"
And just as quickly, it was gone.

Not long after I began this prayer, God seemed to nudge me into adding one more request--

"Give me the courage to say 'yes' to Your adventure"

God knows me so well!!!
It's one thing to ask God for adventure,
but quite another to hold out open hands
for 
whatever
He 
gives
me.

And then a little over a month ago the phone call came--
"Mom...I don't know what I'm doing in my program...
it's not what I'm looking for..
I'm thinking of transferring to Simon Fraser in BC"

Two thoughts hit me almost simultaneously --

"My girl's adventure is going to become my adventure"
and
"She'll never move back home"

It's been a whirlwind of activity since then with applications being filled out and sent
and acceptances received and celebrated.

"God...what adventure would You have for me that I would never consider?"

NEVER
would I have considered sending my Ashley to the West Coast!
NEVER
would I have planned for an adventure of such magnitude!

But God
in His perfect wisdom
and perfect guidance,
 perfect love
and perfect goodness
has planned it all.

Looking back over the months
I see
the countless ways He has so carefully prepared my heart
to say "yes" to such an adventure
The overriding sense of peace I have amidst something so life altering
can only be because of Him.

I know I haven't grasped the enormity of all of this--
but the present moment is enough
God is here with me in the present
And He's also ahead of me
preparing the future
I'll join Him when I arrive



No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...