Monday, December 16, 2013

"Christmas will be good as long as...."

"Ultimately
life is good
as long as...."

How would you fill in the blank?

As long as...
my health is good
As long as...
I have a satisfying career
As long as...
I have deep friendships

It's a question my Spiritual Director
has invited me to sift through,
with two types of relationships in mind--

Horizontal relationships...
meaning the people in my life and 
corresponding life's circumstances
And my Vertical relationship...
that which I share with God 

When I'm dependent on people around me 
for the goodness of my life
I immediately run into problems
Because people let me down
and 
life falls apart
and 
my goals are blocked
and 
sometimes my family
doesn't like my dinner

But if 
"ultimately life is good as long as...

I have God,"

the picture looks so different.

Because God
is always present
and God
brings good out of life's pain
and God
never tires of listening to my heart's cry
and God
is my constant
Refuge,
Strength,
Guide,
Hope,
Comfort,
and Lover.

 As I have been turning these myriad of thoughts 
over in my mind,
I hear Him inviting me to respond to 
another question--
"Christmas will be good as long as...." 

As long as what?
Am I going to focus on people and events
for Christmas to hold goodness?

Am I expecting
a Hallmark Christmas card
with a white Christmas
and 
relational bliss,
perfect meals,
quiet evenings
and 
no disappointments??

If so,
I will surely have my spirits dashed 
and deem the goodness of Christmas accordingly.

But if Christmas is solely dependent on my Jesus
it will ultimately be good,
regardless of how life unfolds.

And it's wise for me to look at my heart
in this regard
because 
despite all of the planned celebrations of this season
this is a pretty broken world
and I too
am broken

I
yearn for peace beyond my understanding
and hope in the midst of pain
and guidance in the face of uncertainty
and comfort to cover the edges of disappointment
and rest within the realms of busyness
and love when I'm let down

and I will ONLY
find this in my Jesus!!!

No one and nowhere else
can I turn to
to provide me with a good Christmas.

Christmas will be good as long as I have my Jesus.



 

 

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...