Saturday, September 7, 2013

"What I miss...or not so much"

It's been a week now
since we dropped our girl off at University.
It's been a good week...
a -feeling-things-out-week
a growing sense of
what I miss or don't miss
kind of week.

I don't miss...
hair in the shower
hair in the sink
hair in the laundry
you get the picture:)
I don't miss
the vast amount of drama housed in this girl's tiny frame
knowing "too much information"
untold glasses in the sink(because she uses a new one every time she takes a drink of water!!!
--the stack of dirty dishes from her bedroom

For sure there is
less laundry
less dishes to wash
less cleaning
All of which are lovely if I'm honest
But all of this does point to this new normal
my girl is gone
at least for now
But I do miss
the sound of her voice
that beautiful smile
and the swish of her gorgeous mane of auburn hair
I miss
her unique sense of humor
and the dramatic inflections in her voice
I miss giving her kisses on her head throughout the day
I miss praying with her before bed
and singing "our song" every night
(yes, still at 18)

But the season we're both in is good and right 
for both of us
She's done a lot of growing up
in one week!!!
And I am gratefully proud
 
She relied on me for a great deal of emotional support
and I was quick and ready to provide
And I don't regret this for a moment
Did I do too much for her in the practical aspects of living?
Yep!
It was just sort of the "arrangement" that unfolded
"My Mama will do it, so why should I?"
 
And so a new season has come
 a  time for her to step out
and me to step back
Two years ago I learned how to text
and now...
what a gift!
I know enough of the day to day happenings
to keep me connected
mostly contented
and always praying
I love my girl
"to the moon and back"

1 comment:

Kristyn Hiemstra said...

A beautiful tribute to the bittersweet-ness of this new chapter. Blessings on you both as you keep moving forward.

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...