"It's easy to complain about children.
But when we want to express our joy, our love,
the words elude us.
The feelings are almost so sacred they defy speech."
--Joan McIntosh
"Being a mother, as far as I can tell,
is a constantly evolving process
of adapting to the needs of your child
while also changing and growing as a person in your own right."
--Deborah Insel
"I cannot stop marvelling at her perfect formation,
her peaceful sleeping face,
and her shock of black(auburn) hair.
I feel awkward and uncomfortable about handling her,
but I am learning."
--Simone Bloom
"Discovering an ability to love uncritically and totally
has been exhilarating.
It's the sort of love that calls upon my whole being,
bringing all of my potential to life."
--Ronnie Friedland
"Once Eleza was doing more than merely screaming or sleeping,
I wanted to talk endlessly about our adorable and clever little petunia blossom.
Who else was as interested in her as I?
Who else but my husband could appreciate the subtle changes that go
unobserved by all others?"
--Carol Kort
"Jennie smiles for the first time--
a gentle parting of her lips into a contented, happy crinkle,
and we are filled with delight and excitement.
We get out her baby book and make the first notation."
--Simone Bloom
"Mothering should involve both taking care of someone
who is dependent and at the same time
supporting that person in his or her efforts
to become independent."
--Signe Hammer
"What is the price of an afternoon when a small girl is soothed in your arms
when the sun bolts through a doorway and both you and the child
are very young?"
--Dorothy Evslin
"The mother-child relationship is paradoxical and,
in a sense, tragic.
It requires the most intense love on the mother's side,
yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother,
and to become fully independent."
--Erich Fromm
"It will be gone before you know it.
The fingerprints on the wall appear higher and higher.
Then suddenly they disappear."
--Dorothy Evslin
No comments:
Post a Comment