Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Feast of Hope

A room transformed.
Brown classroom tables covered with
 linens, china, silverplate
dancing candle flames and bright spring blooms
And food...
a smorgasbord of salads, meats, breads and stews
Oh, and some chocolate too:)

It was our last class in the Theology of Suffering Course.
We spent our time together feasting
and sharing symbols of hope
and our individual Prose of Hope.

We ate with the silverware that was my mother's..
 my symbol of hope.
I expressed the longevity of the journey
to move from a place of only mourning her death
to being able to celebrate her life
It seemed only fitting to feast
with her silverware.

And my Prose of Hope?
Never would I have thought
in those first weeks
that I could ever arrive at a place called hope
My soul has seemed stuck
for a long time
I'm free now
What a gift God has given me through the teachings
of this professor
and the shared community of those who journeyed
this course with me

Prose of Hope

God of quiet mystery
You hold me fast in Your Sovereign grip
Suffering's harsh winds once threatened to unmoor me...
the dismantling of my soul trailing my footsteps
This fighting quest--to reconcile God-forsakenness with
Emmanuel "God-with-us" proved futile--
until now--
The healing of the breach is not for today
Today I live and breathe
suspended
between the holy truth of who You are
and the inescapable reality of my broken, post-Eden dwelling
Strange though it sounds, there is a restful calm within this tension
a laying down of arms
a moving away from the battle zone
Though my soul lives unmended
I am at peace
I am free to invite others to journey suffering's mysterious way
Together we will learn what it means to walk this earth in the shadow of You--
my God of quiet mystery

"For now we see in a mirror dimly,
but then face to face;
now I know in part, but then I shall know fully
just as I also have been fully known."
1 Corinthians 13:12





1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Indeed it sounds like you were led to take this course ... Thanks for sharing you journey

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...