Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Not Alone

Must I always return home on Tuesday afternoons with a churning in my stomach and turmoil in my mind and soul?

This is so not what I expected as I was anticipating "The Theology of Suffering" course.  I expected a challenge, yes, a stretching within, a resonating of my spirit with what was being taught, but not this.

And I'm not entirely aware of what "this" entails.  I began this journey having felt that I had made peace with my own seasons of suffering.  There had been a mostly restful place where the redemption of my pain was realized and lived out and where the mystery of God was acknowledged and accepted.  I had ceased fighting with God.  The "why's" no longer required an answer.

But this seems to all have been disrupted in the last week.  At times I am wrestling, angry and questioning God.  A turmoil within, a loneliness and lostness has begun to visit my soul. A crack has formed, or perhaps was there before and I was unaware, in this trust relationship God and I have forged together.

I am finding myself tripping over the crack.

I am afraid.  This is familiar, but unwelcome territory.

But I am not truly alone.  He is here.

Earlier in the day I listened to a statement from Chuck Swindoll--

"Our questions make us dependent"

His words caught my attention.  My questions...my searching,  is not a failure on my part, but rather the reason I must press into this Sovereign One.  I am dependent on His leading me through this maze I stepped into last week.

Psalm 139 reminds me I am not alone...in any of the thoughts and emotions that have been stirred within me.

"O Lord, You have searched me and known me,
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O Lord, You know it all,.
You enclose me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it."
Verses 1-6

I am on a journey without a road map but not without a Guide.   I don't know where He is leading me or for what purpose the path has been set out.

But I will continue to follow.

Enclosed behind and before--
God--Your hand upon me.
I am surrounded,
"held" captive,
trapped by God!
          Oh the comfort of being
covered in the security
of the Sovereign. 
Based on Psalm 139:5
July 2007

1 comment:

Kristyn Hiemstra said...

Love and prayers to you, friend. Your willingness to wrestle with the dark is a testament to your courage.

"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
- Leonard Cohen

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...