Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Keeping Space

I'm a person who seeks NOT to be busy.  
In fact I have often said that I choose to rebel against the frantic pace 
our society deems necessary or important or perhaps, "just the way it is".

There are those who recognize the need to have margin in their life.  
I'm thinking of it as "the keeping space".  
It's that empty space I need to have in my life so that I can hear the Spirit's voice. 

I grab on to how Henri Nouwen describes this in 
an excerpt in my Advent Devotional from
"A Spirituality for Living".
He calls it a discipline, but not the way we often think of discipline.

"...in the spiritual life, the word discipline means,
'the effort to create some space in which God can act.'"

Oh that's so beautiful.
So inviting and calming.
I so need this space.

Henri goes on to explain...
"Discipline means to prevent everything in our lives
from being filled up.
Discipline means that somewhere we're not occupied,
and certainly not preoccupied.
Discipline means to create space in which
something can happen that we hadn't planned or counted on.
Discipline helps us to follow the voice of the Spirit,
who wants to lead us to new places, new people,
and new forms of service."

This space is something I am extra conscious of in this Christmas season.
So much vies for my attention, my time, my thoughts.
And if I"m not careful,
if I'm not daily "keeping space" to allow God to act,
then I lose perspective, serenity and an open heart.

So whether it is a shopping list in hand
or a meal I'm preparing
or an "intrusion" into my day
I'm in want of that "keeping space"
and a God-who-is-with-me
to speak and guide and invite me into the dance.


 

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...