Sunday marked the third week of Advent, traditionally inviting us to Joy. Joy it was, that filled my soul as I sat with my husband and two children in a casual restaurant Sunday evening. We had come together to celebrate 24 years of sobriety for my husband. I suppose after 24 years, it could seem "old". It has been a long time since Brian lived his "former" life. I didn't even know him, and our kids of course, were not even in existence. Brian is the only one who truly understands what this gift of 24 years means, but there is something inside each of us, that claims an allegiance to this day.
I'm not sure that I can adequately frame words around this celebration.
Life.
Life seems to be the closest I can come to what his sobriety means to me personally.
His sobriety gave him a new life.
Three years later, when he surrendered his life to Christ, then it was His Joy that began seeping in.
I remember hearing these words many years ago: "Joy is all wrapped up in Jesus."
It's what kept pulsing through my veins Sunday evening...this is Joy!!
This celebration.
Our togetherness as a family.
Our healing as a family.
It's Joy because it's all wrapped up in Jesus.
I suppose I have alluded to times of conflict within our home. You know...the whole sibling rivalry thing. And sometimes that's all it was, but at other times...a lot of other times, the undercurrent between my children was much stronger. And the prayer of my heart was for healing. More recently, I had sent a plea to a friend to pray for healing. Deep, powerful healing.
Two nights ago, I sat and watched my babes interact with each other: laughing and talking and playing...giving attention and respect and kindness to one another. And I was overcome with pure Joy. I felt as though I was witnessing God answer prayer right before my eyes. Joy because it was all wrapped up in Jesus.
I came home filled.
Joy-filled.
I have this prayer posted above my kitchen sink:
"God of Advent Joy
keep my eyes and heart
open to signs of
Your coming.
May I be joyously expectant
seeing Your coming
in a million ways.
Amen."
What joy it was to see His coming to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment