Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Gift of What's Missing

I am finding myself in a familiar place.  That place of being aware of overwhelming need.  The Christmas season highlights the neediness of either ourselves or those around us.  Whether we feel inadequate to accomplish the additional demands of this time of year, or are struggling with the darker sides of life, that which we "need" but don't have, appears glaring.  The bountiful lights strung in nearly every home are no match.  We can't see past our need.

I've limped through many a Christmas season.  And although there are empty places this year as well, they are not all consuming for which I am grateful.  My emotional health is manageable and  I have been kinder to myself about what is "necessary" for Christmas to happen.  (As if it depends on me!!)

But I have to admit that hearing of so many of whom I care about, whose souls have been exposed to the harsh ways of our broken world....this has been weighing on me.  I want so desperately to bring a gift of comfort...to ease the wounds...to shine a light into the shadows of their day.  And at times I am able to provide what my heart desires.  But I can't speak into all of their lives...be the voice of hope.  There are too many and I am only one.  And I can be unrealistically cruel to myself carrying around their burdens, egotistically believing it all depends on me.

Several days ago, in the midst of bending beneath the load of others, the Spirit reminded me of some words from Thomas Kinkade in his Advent Devotional called, "Christ, the Light of the World".  He believes that we should refer to these times in our lives as "the gift of what's missing".   His following thoughts are so very thought provoking:

"The places where life is unsatisfactory or incomplete 
or lacking--that's where we have room to grow.  
What we lack, what we yearn for, 
can fire our imaginations, motivate our actions, 
strengthen our faith--and those are all good gifts.
It's not automatic, of course.  A lot depends on attitude.  
If we let ourselves marinate in bitterness and resentment, 
chances are our lives will seem shabbier, less satisfactory, 
less hopeful by the year.  
But if we persist in perceiving all of life as a gift,
maintaining an attitude of thankfulness, 
even for the areas that fail to satisfy, 
if we practice faith in God's goodness 
and keep ourselves open to the workings of the Holy Spirit,
I believe we'll gradually see life changing for the better.
Maybe we'll end up with a picture-perfect white Christmas--
or maybe we won't.  
But we'll still be living into our dreams.
And we'll still be moving forward into joy."

The truth is that we all have choices in how we walk through the difficult seasons in our lives; those times when we are in need.   We decide how much of the pain we open up to God and how much we keep to ourselves.  We decide if we will reach out to others or close our hearts to those able and willing to give.

Another truth?  God calls me to give to others and then remember that He is the only Emmanuel...God-with-us.  The One Whose never-ending abundance is available to all.

The closing prayer of this particular devotional is powerful, honest...a heart of surrender.

"Dear Father,  You come to me in both my satisfaction 
and my emptiness, but I come to You more easily
when there is an empty spot in my life.
So I thank You for the gift of what's missing.
I invite You to fill my dreams, shape my growth,
and point me in the way of true fulfillment."

 May this be our prayer as we hold the empty places of our lives up to Him.
 














No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...