It's what I need each morning as I crawl out from under my warm covers...a fresh, supply of heaven's manna.
I'm not referring to bread per say, as the children of Israel desperately needed for sustenance. For God-reasons unknown to me, my daily supply of bread and earth's abundance is always overflowing. And I am humbly grateful.
But I am in need of another kind of manna.
I note that in Exodus 16:2-18 the scene is a desert and ultimately a home for God's people. But they are confused and worried and full of complaints because of their current living conditions. They even accuse their leader, Moses, that he has brought them to this place to die. (I've had my own days of desert living...wondering if I too had been sent there to die) We often fault their harsh tongue lashings, more accurately meant for God, but disguised as an "address" to Moses.
But when we are in need, is this not where we so naturally default? We may begin by bemoaning our lack thereof of something we feel is crucial in our lives, but we, or at least I can quickly move to releasing my frustration heavenward. And desperation can effortlessly fuel my thoughts and words into anything but polite requests to the Manna-Giver.
And this is where the Spirit moved me.. through the questions in my devotional guide. And though I answered them earlier this week...I continue to recall their deep meaning as the circumstances of my days have unfolded.
What do you worry you will not have enough of?
If God were to give you manna, what form would it take?
Ask God for enough of what you need
I could effortlessly pen my answers for you to read, but I desire to leave room for the Spirit to touch your personal need.
Because we all have needs.
Some of you are perhaps barely holding on and your needs are seemingly insurmountable; your worry that you will not have enough to make it through the day, races through your mind endlessly.
For some of you, this season of life is good and full, but still you know you need manna in a specific form.
Whether you have complained to the Manna-Giver, screamed 'til your voice was hoarse, or simply asked, I'm not sure that God is picky.
But I do believe He wants us to ask. It reminds us Who is on the throne and compels us to put our faith on the line and trust His provision.
What I found so striking at the closing of this scripture was that those who gathered "much" did not end up with extra, and those who gathered "little" did not find themselves lacking.
In other words they had enough.
Enough.
Not enough for the next day...or week or year. But enough for today. (I tend to lean towards the provision for at least a year in advance, but...)
And so I am asking carefully...wisely for the manna I need for today...and praying that the Manna-Giver supplies a measure of faith to trust His Enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment