Thursday, January 20, 2011

His Presence

I love her depth and insight.  I love her authentic words filled with hope and promises and purpose.  I love her attentiveness and willingness to probe into my soul.  I love the way in which she takes a few verses from my Bible and brings them to life...so that I might have life.

Yet again, my Spiritual Director has pulled back the curtains to reveal truth and beauty in God's Word. 

It was a familiar story in the book of Matthew and although there is much in all that unfolds between Jesus and his disciples, all that you need to be aware of is that this group of men are out at sea in what the Bible refers to as a "tormenting" wind.  If that isn't terrifying enough, they think they are seeing a ghost coming towards them on the water.  Of course it is Jesus, but they do not know this until He says:


"Take courage,
      it is I;
           do not be afraid."

It's the three simple but powerful words, sandwiched in between the others, that I find so captivating.

"It is I."

Jesus.

Jesus is there.  In the whipping wind and the tossing waves.  In the dark of night and the frozen fear of the disciples.

And if Jesus is there...and He is...everything changes.

 Who else can tell me to have courage and me reach out with both hands?  Who else dare shell out the words, "do not be afraid?" 

Only Jesus.  

Now to really live as though His presence makes a difference.  I mean it's one thing for the words of God to leap off the page, but quite another to acknowledge and invite and rest in His presence throughout the course of my day.  I so desire this reality.  And if anyone can make it happen, He's the One.

So tomorrow, if the wind takes my breath away, or fear grips my heart, or if it's just a harder-than-normal part of my day which threatens to throw me off course, I sincerely hope I remember Jesus.  I hope I will stop long enough to hear Him say, "It is I." 

Because I know His presence changes everything.   








No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...