Monday, February 27, 2023

Lent--A Practice of Grace and Abundance

Lent is a challenging observance for one who is a recovering legalist.  Giving up something simply begs of another way to follow the rules which is undeniably not the purpose of Lent.  One of the ways my Spiritual Director framed Lent was like this--"It's not a dreary season, but rather a time of asking, "What did God give up for me?  What is binding me?"  
But what if so much of life is binding?  What if there is still such untangling to be done from the knots of  rigidity?  This is where I found myself in the weeks leading up until Lent.  I petitioned God to reveal to me what it was that I should set aside for 40 days and there was never a response.  The thought occurred to me that perhaps there wasn't an ask.   When I relayed this and other thoughts to my Spiritual Director she began to ask questions:

What stands in the way of freedom?
What does honoring the sacrifice of Jesus look like?
How does living the abundant life look?
If my child was asking, "What do I need to do to honor you?" how would I answer?  

By the end of our session, my spirit had switched from a heaviness to a lift of anticipation.  Maybe Lent this year could be a unique invitation to something more than what is relinquished?

Within days, two words began to resurface.  Grace and Abundance.  And then in an unhurried way the "practice" of grace and abundance began to form.  

On Ash Wednesday I began Lent with Communion and the reading of 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

"For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself.  On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it.  Then he broke it in pieces and said, 'This is my body, which is given for you.  Do this in remembrance of me'. In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant between God and his people--an agreement confirmed with my blood.  Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it.  For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord's death until he comes again.'"

I ended these moments listening to Christy Nockel's sing, "Grace Flows Down".  It became clear to me that I was being directed to continue this daily practice of communion with various music to come alongside.  The passage Paul gave us is rich in meaning and depth and yes, grace.  There is a striking amount to take in.

As the days of Lent unfold, the Spirit informs the expressions of abundance in my everyday life.  Sometimes it's the awareness of warm water pouring from the showerhead, the lather of shampoo through my fingers, the soft towel against my body and I give thanks for abundance.  At other times it's the energy of body and spirit to step in and serve and I give thanks for the abundance of strength and ability in this mortal frame.  The next day, I collapse into the abundance of rest available when I need it.  Still, another time, abundance seeps out of my pores as I sit in my card making studio and create, giving thanks that "I get to do this!"  And on and on the list grows.

Grace and abundance are inextricably linked.  His sacrifice for me, abundant.  His grace, so much greater than all my sin is lavished on me in abundance.  The bounty in my life, a beautiful grace of God and overflowing in abundance.  Grace and abundance build on one another.

Lent is a flowering path for me this year as the Spirit allows me to notice grace and abundance in a myriad of ways.  And it's only just begun.


No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...