Thursday, January 7, 2021

Grace --2021

Grace...my word for 2021.  It's a word where, if tangible, I would, like a warm, cozy blanket, wrap it around my shoulders for the days ahead.  I love this word and yet, it's one that I cannot grasp, something which I am not always generous to give to others and that which I find  seemingly impossible to give to myself.

The biblical definition would define grace as God's unmerited favor.  

Webster's Dictionary would list "the exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition to benefit or serve another, favor bestowed or privilege conferred."

Grace covers a lot of ground.  It's beautiful, powerful, deep, lavish and much more.

At times, I wonder if I'm not more like the Israelite's in the Old Testament, trying to keep their 613 laws.  But Jesus brought free flowing grace, so why oh why do I resist?!

As I said, grace covers a wide expanse of territory.  Henri Nouwen writes, "I am gradually learning that the call to gratitude asks us to say, 'everything is grace.'"  Really???  Everything???

I vividly remember my Spiritual Director introducing me to this re-framing of life by referring to circumstances, however complicated or painful, as "a grace of God."  That somehow, God would use even "this" in a redemptive way.

All of this wholly challenges me and reminds me that I am barely at the fringe of understanding, embracing and living out of grace.

So what a beautiful word to grow into as this calendar year begins!

Why wouldn't my Grace-filled God desire to pour out this gift on the pages of my life?!

Onward then, by His grace, into grace.


No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...