Thursday, March 7, 2019

We Are Nothing Without God

Excerpt from The Lent Project --Center for Christianity, Culture & the Arts,
Biola University, California

Psalm 8:4 "...what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?"

"...in this season of Lent, I think we ought to start there--by meditating on the absurdity of God's care.  I so often think myself big.  To comprehend God's love for me I must remind myself daily that I am small.  Ludicrously so.  My life is unbelievably brief.  My concerns and troubles are not worth mentioning even compared to other creatures who are as tiny as I am.  And yet the God who spoke a billion stars into being loves me.  Listens to me.  Was willing to die for me...

It doesn't make sense.  It is utterly undeserved.  And remembering that this is so strips us of our sense that we are owed God's attention, that his constant reception is only to be expected.  No, Christ's regard for me is pure, astonishing gift, for I am dust."
--Dr. Janelle Aijian
Assistant Professor
Torry Honors Institute
Biola University

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...