Saturday, December 8, 2018

Too Much

It was already "too much" before this week unfolded.

The past weeks of slowly watching my kindred friend leave this life...

Those final days of saying "goodbye"...

The day of celebrating her life yes, but also grieving her loss...

It all felt like too much.

And then, what I thought would give way to a sense of relief in knowing her suffering is over and she is free and joyous and basking in Jesus' presence, what entered instead was this overall sense of weariness...as though the last 14 months of her battle have caught up with me.  This all out war that she fought and I soldiered with her on, this war has worn me in deep ways.  And I am tired.

I've been "here" before as a result of other life circumstances and therefore with an arsenal of understanding and ways of self care to put into practice.  Which I have.  But then the "more" of life overwhelmed me this week and it now feels like more than "too much" because it was "too much" already.

Sigh...

But God is still on the throne.  It's one of the first thoughts which came to me on Dec. 5 and what I will continue to remind myself of.

But God is still with me...still walking near and ever nearer...

But God's Word is still my truth source, my comfort, my guide...

But God's got this...and He's got me...

And though my frailty, my default to worry and fear, and the weariness  which swirls around and within me threatens to unmoor me, I know I am His and He is mine and we will walk on together, hands clasped, in this season of "too much." 
Because ultimately, He is enough.


“If you are past thirty-five, you surely grieve something.
If nothing else, you simply grieve for the passing of time…for the helplessness of knowing that tragedy can occur instantly and without warning,” writes southern novelist Vicki Covington.

Pastor and teacher Dr. Gary Klingsporn wrote, “Only a Christ who comes into and shares our tears….only that Christ can really speak meaningfully to us today.
Christ is born into whatever it is that we feel.  He comes not as a predictable hero, but as a vulnerable child.  From the Messiah in a manger to the King on a Cross, this is the mystery of the Incarnation—that into such a world of need, into such a world as ours, God whispered His profound love.  And He whispers it yet today.”

O God who entered time and eternity as a crying infant, break into my laughter and be present in my tears.  I lay before You today all that burdens my heart even as I listen for the singing of angels.

Thomas Kinkade
Christ the Light of the World



No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...