Saturday, July 14, 2018

Holy Matrimony

Holy Matrimony.  It's what comes to mind as my son and daughter-in-law celebrate their 6th wedding anniversary.

Funk & Wagnall's Standard College Dictionary defines Holy various ways --"completely devoted to the service of God...designated or set apart for religious worship or observance..."

Jack Wellman explains Matrimony in these words--"The word itself is from the Old French word “matremoine” which comes directly from the Latin word “matrimonium” and means “wedlock” or “marriage.” It has the idea of being locked together on a permanent basis..."

When I think of Cam and Sonya I overwhelmingly think of two people "locked together" and within that wedlock, springs forth a wholly setting themselves apart for the worship of God. This is not a Mama boasting, it's simply what I see.

I watch how they love each other, care for, and serve one another.  I watch how they intertwine so many part of their lives.  I observe their careful respect for the other and the ways in which they live out honor.  I am captivated not only by their oneness and the giving of themselves to each other in this oneness but also by their individuality and how they call forth the strength and creativity of the other...and bless it.  Such richness.  And I suppose if this was where Holy Matrimony was contained; within the union of this man and woman, then this in itself would be a testimony.  But their wedlock is indeed holy as I watch them drench others by their oneness.  I marvel at the ways in which they partner to worship God.  Every part of their lives is an act of worship.  And if it means taking in someone in crisis until the right care is available, they open their arms in welcome.  If it means getting involved in a messy situation, they pull up their sleeves and walk in.  If it means setting aside and  hosting a weekend in their home to read the Torah, they send out invitations.

It was almost seven years ago that they met and I knew very early on that their relationship would pull out all the stops on uniqueness.  I've watched them grow and learn not only about themselves as a couple but about what it means to live a life of worship as a couple.  It's breathtakingly beautiful.  Truly.

And so today, on their their sixth wedding anniversary, I pray a blessing of these two loves of mine--

Dearest Cam and Sonya
May your deep love for one another 
grow ever deeper in ways you can't imagine
May you continue to take great care in welcoming Jesus
to shelter your union
May He be your constant Guide
in your life of worship
And may the beauty of this Holy Matrimony He designed
be a brilliant light in a dark world.
Amen

Joyous Blessings,
Love, Mom




No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...