When my Spiritual Director encouraged me to take some time to sequester my self and unpack and settle into our new home I was thankful and relieved for this "permission". I was incredulous that it was actually legitimate to even do this and yet I felt it was so very important for my spirit. She assured me that I would know when that time was complete. For someone who lives by clocks and calendars this seemed unsettling. What if I didn't know when this time had accomplished it's work? What if I was never ready to engage with the world around me?
Surprise!! I knew!!
In some ways the one season has gradually and effortlessly moved into the next. And yet in other ways it's fresh and surprisingly new and exciting. Part of me doesn't even feel as though the peaceful, sequestered time is behind me because the freshness of what now is still holds so much quiet and delight and contentedness And if I had never taken the time to allow my spirit to shhh and settle, I wouldn't have been aware of the slow movement of the Spirit to hone my ministry and in some ways redirect it.
I find immense delight in my new home. I continue to marvel and still repeat this mantra, "I can't believe we get to live here!!!" At times the intensity of emotion is overwhelming. I am sooooooooo happy and cannot stop basking in the goodness of this incredible gift.
It's time now to share this gift with others. On Saturday I opened our home and hosted a bridal shower for my niece. I can't tell you what joy I had in preparing my home for this occasion. Sheer delight. This afternoon my in laws are coming for tea. I am already dreaming of preparing my table with scones and tea for these two beautiful people. Wednesday evening the women from the small group that I'm a part of will bring their potluck dishes and dine at our table for our end of season celebration. I will lovingly set my table with linen napkins and good china along with a spread of candles.
It's time to give others a brief respite from the cares of life and enjoy the beauty and quiet nature of this gift of a home. My challenge is going to be ensuring that my capacity is not overrun by my desire!! I must remember that I don't have to invite everyone over within the coming month!! haha
The kitchen here is a dream. My previous kitchen of 23 plus years was a challenge in functionality, particularly to other people, but for me, it was all that I knew. But now!! Oh my!! It's sheer delight to work in a functional environment. I am having the time of my life cooking and baking in this new space. This too contributes to the joy of not only opening my home but taking a little bit of my home to others in need. A family from our church is in the midst of some very challenging health crisis. What a delight to lovingly prepare a meal in tranquility of this new home and deliver to someone who desperately needs nourishment for body and soul.
For years now I have relished in the joy of creating cards and even managed to set up my own Card Studio in our previous home. I have been abundantly blessed to be able to do the same here. I am thoroughly enjoying this new area for creativity (along with a internet program which has untold helps for beautifying cards!!) Who knew??!!!!!
If you find that words such as joy and delight and basking and gift and gratitude are overly repeated, I make no apologies. I can't believe God has given all "this" for us to steward for a time! What astounds me is how contented and filled I am--how life giving it is for me to serve others in these ways in this in this new home. It's like nothing I have ever experienced!
It's time.
Ahhhh..
"Here I am Lord, use me."
No comments:
Post a Comment