Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Asking The Right Questions

I've been revisiting a rich book--
mining it's pages reveals 
new nuggets of
truth
hope
encouragement
challenge

"Being Well When We're Ill"
(Wholeness and Hope In Spite of Infirmity)
by Marva J. Dawn
was a book I read as I was 
recovering from the years of depression's darkness

Gratefully I'm not in that place again,
but life is full of so many pathways of pain
and in each one there is the often- asked -question
Why?

I'm in my fifth week now of fairly significant sciatica
Recovery feels so slow...
doesn't it always???

I could rant a list of how this has affected me--
my routine
sleep
abilities, etc.
and just coping with the pain in general

And I could ask that very simple, but nagging question, 
why?

But I haven't.

Not because I'm super spiritual
or strong...
Truly I am very much aware of my brokenness,
how  weak I am


The reason I haven't asked the question
is solely God's grace in my life
He has brought me to a place where I am 
finally
beginning to trust Him...
to believe that the gift of life I receive 
every 
day
is from Him
regardless of how that may look

This is where Marva's words of faith and trust come in.

"A first step toward finding
intellectual, emotional and spiritual well-being
in spite of the absurdity of our...circumstances
is to change the questions from 
'Why?' to
'What?' and 'Where?',
and to ask these with an
open-minded commitment to look for answers.
More completely, the new questions are,
'What is God doing in the midst of this?'
and
'Where do I catch glimpses of the Trinity's grace?'"

Both of these questions move the focus from
me
to
Him

The beauty of theses questions
is that they can be answered!!!

I'm not suspended in time
holding out for some nebulous answer to "why"
which will never come

Instead,
I am living out the answers to these other questions
in the strength and grace and provision
of God

 I can see sooooo much of what God is doing
and catching glimpses of the Trinity's grace
requires little effort

Asking the right questions
changes everything

My prayer--
for strength and grace
to continue living out the answers









No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...