Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Unprepared

"...we are most prepared for Christ,
for Christmas, when we confess 
we are mostly not prepared.
Rest here.
There is only room in us
when we are done with us."
--Ann Voskamp
"The Greatest Gift"

I started early
planned wisely
so sure that this year I would arrive at today
and have my soul
prepared

I see now the arrogance
that somehow 
this is all dependent on my doing
that with time set aside
and a heart desiring to be awakened
somehow
I would be ready for my Lord

But now
with clearer vision
see
Him

This holy God
emptying His glory
for my vain attempts
at 
holding on to "my glory"

My efforts are as filthy rags
my preparations so lacking

I come to the manger
aware of my emptiness
longing for Him
to fill my own womb-space
with
Himself

El Shaddai
I rest in You
I worship You


 


No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...