Monday, July 28, 2014

An Excerpt from Eden on July 24/14

If only I could bottle this up
and take it home
This Eden-like trance of
serenity and rest
Here
the expectations are few
Here
the pressures of life virtually non-existent
Here
stress rarely surfaces

But back home...
pressures seem to mount with 
phone calls, email and text messages
Expectations
mostly from myself
loom mountainous
and
stress so often has a choke hold
on my living of life

It all feels more so these past months
I think because life has shown itself
uncertain
unstable
which has left me
insecure
threatened

A collage of physical and emotional ill health
in some I love
at times within myself
Crisis shakes normalacy
Planned and unplanned change...
Loss
in the lives of many
Situations which call upon me to confront 
one of my greatest enemies...
fear

All of this
pasted to the walls of my everyday life
and I have found myself
wanting for steadiness...
surety

My Spiritual Director would say that 
God is dismantling my earthly kingdom
one 
stone
at
a
time

I believe this

I'm even at the place where I desire it

Why?

Because I long for a rock solid foundation
a security which stablilizes me
in spite of the constant upheaval in life

The Psalms are filled with countless times where 
God is referred to as a
Rock
Refuge
Fortress
Stronghold
Habitation
our Strength

As He dismantles my earthly kingdom
He leads me to His heavenly one

I will always and only
be safe in Him

I know this

He alone can be my place of refuge
in the storms of life  Psalm 46:1

He alone never changes  Hebrews 13:9

He alone is my stronghold  Psalm 48:3

He alone is my Rock and Fortress  Psalm 31:3

He alone is my Strength  Psalm 18:1

And my only hope
of ever living life with
peace and security
is to follow the Psalmists example--

"I have set the Lord continually before me;
because He is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad,
and my glory rejoices;
my flesh will also dwell securely."
--Psalm 16:8,9

 

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...