"Christmas is one holiday I have learned to receive like a gift
that varies in size and significance
one year to the next."
--Phyllis Theroux
I realize that I am perhaps somewhat ahead of "schedule" in capturing the Christmas spirit, but I think it stems from beginning to craft Christmas cards several weeks ago. I even played a new Christmas CD one of the Saturday's in October as I worked away in my studio:) This week I plan to forge through the attic crawl space to locate Christmas decor. My husband isn't necessarily in agreement...ha,ha. Oh how I love the nostalgia of going through containers and boxes, pulling out memories collected over the years.I wonder too if the newness of this particular Christmas is part of what is moving me into these days of preparation. It's a newness with that bittersweet taste. We have a beautiful daughter-in-law joining us in our celebrations and for this I am filled with gratitude. Still, all that has been a part of our traditions over the years will have a new look because Cam and Sonya will be beginning their own Christmas traditions. Some of what we have always shared as a family, will now be shared by just three of us. I'm unsure as of yet, how all of this will unfold, but clearly it will not be the same.
This Christmas will very much vary in "size and significance".
And I think I'm mostly okay with this transition. I am learning that the emotions of sadness and joy can coexist. One doesn't have to be ignored or pushed out of the way for the other. I even wonder if life isn't the richer for this. We were created with this incredible depth and intricacy of thoughts and emotions. Such abundance, although unpredictable, is indeed beautiful.
I wait with an expectant heart for what the Gift-giver has in store this Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment