Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lists and Fun and "The Countown"


I am having to pinch myself as I watch the days on the calender move ever so purposefully toward July 14.

 It really is almost here

 In a little over 4 weeks my son will be wed to his beautiful bride and Brian and I will officially be "inlaws"!!!
But in the meantime the lists continue.  It seems I only check off one list to begin another. Sometimes the details seem endless.  Matches to light candles, people to help decorate, people to help "undecorate", ushers to seat guests, food for the rehearsal party, etc., etc.

And though there is much that has been accomplished, there is still a host of things to be done.
And I am having the time of my life!!!!
Oh how I am enjoying these days of preparation.  And oh how grateful I am for the multitude of ways in which Cam and Sonya are involving me in the plans for their big day.  It is not every day that the groom's mom is right there in the middle of it all.  But they have and continue to invite me into so much of their wedding day organization and I am drinking it all in. 
They were here again on Friday afternoon for lunch and yes, "wedding talk".  Later on they were listening to music, trying to select a song that they will sing together.  I was in the kitchen not more than 12 feet away and I was overcome as I heard them humming the various parts of a piece.  When the song had finished I looked at them and said, "I am so sorry to burst into your moment, but oh....my...gosh....that was amazing."  Cam just shakes his head, "Oh, Mom."  And Sonya said that when the day arrives they plan to seat her mother and I---- and then not look at us at for the next 45 minutes.  I wonder why!!
Saturday morning I woke to my whole "new" family here in my home.  Sonya had decided to spend the night in the spare room instead of making the trek home and Cam was in the family room.  Ahhhh.  It just filled me. 
Leopard Explanation:  Since they don't hold hands (until July 14) this was the photographer's idea of a hand-holding pic:)  Love it!
  It was over a week ago that I had some alone time with Cam at his home over lunch.  It was actually my "birthday lunch"...his gift to me.  Yes, my birthday was in February, but my boy has been busy:)  

Now, you must know two things here. 
1)  My boy can cook.  He has been known to make some delicious dishes and particularly enjoys the presentation of it as well.
2)  I love peanut butter and since we don't have it in our home, I had told him over a month ago that he needn't make a gourmet meal, because I would be happy with peanut butter and time with him.

And that's what I got!!!!!!  He pulls out this 2kg jar of Kraft Peanut Butter, Jam, some high fibre bread and milk heated on the stove for my hot chocolate(which he knows I have every day for lunch)

We sat down at his kitchen table and just before we prayed he looks at me and says, "It's good to have you here Mom." 

Okay...I can go home now...my soul is filled.  

Sigh.  Those words meant the world to me.  An unsolicited, genuine gift for this Mama's heart.  I so thoroughly basked in our time together...mostly just sharing our souls and what work God is doing there.  Those are the conversations I have missed and treasure. 
Even though there is so much that is still surreal, there are moments in time where this new life...our new family unit... is starting to settle into my psyche.  And all that is within me smiles with this profound feeling of gratitude.

No comments:

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...