Saturday, April 24, 2010

Remembering my Mother June 20, 1940 -April 24, 1970

Today, April 24, 2010 marks 40 years since my mother's tragic death.  I use the word tragic, because it still is.  Even though healing has come and my life has flourished.  Even though I can gaze at pictures and smile instead of cry.  Even though "inherited" memories bring a sense of peace and not sorrow.  Even though remembrances of her own brief life grace my home but do not grieve my spirit.  Even though God has indeed fulfilled Romans 8:28 and brought a rich goodness into my life...April 24, 1970 was a day of tragedy, unfairness and deep sorrow.

My mother was, in a moment, ripped from this world...my world.  I have spent 40 years wandering, groping, fighting, grieving, and eventually releasing the heart breaking mystery of her untimely death.  I have moved forward through the journey of sorrow.  I have not moved on.  Moving on would signify a desire to forget, to ignore the impact of her life on mine, to pretend that she does not occupy a sacred place in my heart.
Because she does.  Instead, I have moved forward through the mystery, without it ever being solved.  I have moved onward through the pain that at one time overwhelmed my being.  I have moved forward, not because I wanted to, but because I needed to.  So that I could, in the fullest way possible, be a devoted mother to my own children.  To continue in her footsteps of devotion to me, despite their brevity.

It's not supposed to be like this.  Drunk drivers are not supposed to get behind the wheel of a car...ever.  Mothers are not supposed to die before their 30th birthday.  Little girls are not supposed to touch their mother for the last time...in a casket.  But this side of Eden, there are lots of "not supposed to".  And if you don't have at least one,  you will.  Until our lives on this earth are fully redeemed, we will live with "not supposed to".
 Throughout the years, I have marked this day in various ways.  This year,as April 24th loomed on the calender, I began to ponder what I might do that was unique to where I am on this journey.  And it came to me.  I'm going to be a mother to my kids.  I'm going to kiss them and hug them when they wake up, wash their breakfast dishes, and hear their plans for the day.  I'm going to send them off to their scheduled events with my prayers and more hugs and kisses.  And they when they return home, I will be here... to listen, to laugh with them, to comfort them, to be there for them, in whatever it is that they need.

And I'm going to be a wife, and enjoy my husband and the beautiful life we share together.  I will hold hands with him as we go to the luncheon we have been invited to.  I will sit close, and watch him interact with people, knowing that out of all the people in the world, he picked me!  And at the close of the day, I will crawl into bed beside him, grateful for the shelter he provides for me.
I'm going to spend time with friends...some who are living their all-too-fresh-"not supposed to".  I will sit with God in the quiet of the day and give thanks that the Eternal Comforter has indeed covered me through seemingly endless sorrow.  

Today, I'm going to "live" this life that God has given me to live.  For reasons beyond my understanding, my mother's living was cut painfully short.  But I am still living mine.  And I want to live it fully, purposefully, richly.
 Remembering you Mom...with all my love...your daughter, Juanita

2 comments:

Joel Bennett said...

An amazing journey you are on....love watching it and being a part of it

Paula said...

This is a very beautiful and inspiring post. Thank you for sharing it.

Also, thank you for your kind words on the post I wrote on the Inkwell. They really blessed! It's been a rough week and your encouragement moves me forward.

One day it's summer and the next, autumn is in the air.  It will continue like this for a good month yet, at least the summer lovers sur...